Monday, August 22, 2011

"Why Mama?"

I never thought it would be like this.  I always pictured myself as the loving, patient, sweet and caring Mother who always explained everything a child was curious about.  I really am all of these things.  I just happen to be these things prior to the 9th "why mama?".  It must be some kind of mathematical, statistical, calculative equation (obviously I'm a math genius).  Eight "why mama?"s and lower - and I'm awesome.  Better than awesome - superb.

But, something inside me snaps at the 9th.  I think it's because "nine" sounds like "nein" which is no in German, and I'm something like 60% German and at the 9th "why mama?" my head starts screaming NOOOOOOO!  I know, very scientific.  I plan on publishing it in the Journal of American Medical Association.  

The conversation goes something like this....
"Abram, you can't have another popsicle"
"Why Mama?"
"Because we already had one and it was your dessert."
"But why Mama?"
"Because that's what you asked for, for dessert, and you already ate it."
"But why Mama?"
"Because you like popsicles."
"Why Mama?"
"Because they're sweet and cold, and feel good on your teeth."
"Why Mama?"
"Because you're getting some new teeth in your mouth"
"But why Mama?"
"Because you're getting older, and that's what happens to big boys."
"But why Mama?"
"Because big boys are strong, and they need all of their teeth."
"But why Mama?"
"*exaggerated sigh* Because I said so"
"But why Mama?"
"Enough discussion.  We're done talking about this.  Look!  There's your Lightening car!*****"

I figure, if I last 8 "why mama?"s then I'm doing okay.  It's the parents who can't last one, right?


****see previous post

No comments: